Coming for the Real You.

I'm hoping to share thoughts, fun and insightful information and aha moments with all to better serve ourselves and the universe.

My background is that of Executive Secretary for the local Electric company (11 years).

Certified Personal Trainer (since 1991) and Fitness Consultant for my own company, Beachin Bodies (6 years) and certified in Reiki and Nutrition with training in Cranial Sacral work, Tai Chi, and Meditation. Certified as a Professional Life Coach (2015); Minister at Universal Life Church (2016);

and, possibly, most important,

my own journey through illness and avenues, roads and roadblocks that I have taken to find the real me. (35 plus years).

The me that I was born as. The me that is the all-knowing. I believe the search is endless and we are here to learn and to love and to share it all.










Friday, May 27, 2011

A Letter from a Dad to His Daugther on Prom Night

This is an excerpt from a letter that came to my attention.  It was too beautiful not to share.  This is from a father to his daughter on her prom night.   Enjoy.
Life, through my own experiences, has taught me that many times I have without thought put myself in jeopardy of not being safe (actually several times being totally unsafe) while I was in the pursuit of happiness. Most, if not all, people face these same circumstances early in life (and throughout our life). Many teenagers find themselves in this exact type of circumstance during prom night, but they don’t realize it until it’s too late.  They unknowingly drift into unsafe circumstances. Many times those circumstances are intentionally created by others in a way that is not obvious to others.
Your mother and I have the utmost confidence and respect for you. You have always shown us that you are very aware of the circumstances in which you find yourself, and you make good choices.  The couple of times where you drifted into questionable situations, you identified them as such immediately following the situation, you talked to your mom about them and hopefully used them as a learning experience. You have never given us reason to not trust you; and therefore you will have our trust until we have reason not to, if ever.

You are mature beyond your age. You have good instincts. You have good judgment. One of the reasons you have these attributes is because your mother and I try not hold you back from the world because of our fears, we give you freedom, a level of freedom many parents wouldn’t give their child. 
You know right from wrong, good from bad. But many times there are not bright lines separating those two sides. The area in between is fuzzy..it’s not clear where good ends and bad begins. It is only your own experiences that allow you to develop your own perspective of where those lines exist for you as a person, as a member of society, and as a member of a family. The key as you are developing that perspective is to not stray too far, too fast. And many times that happens when older, or less mature, or more troubled kids pull a person to a place they won’t normally go themselves.   Please continue to have the confidence in your own beliefs to know where that line is drawn for you, and it’s ok for the line to be drawn in a different place by someone else for themselves.  If at ANY time, you feel you are becoming uncomfortable and the situation doesn’t turn in a direction that you want, please call us. We’ll get you anytime, anywhere.
My heart is pounding. It’s excited for you. It’s scared for me and your mom. We’re scared that if we make a mistake, today or any day, that it could have lifelong negative implications for you…literally it could damage you for life. Dramatic yes, but possible. We’ve seen it happen to other families.
 I so want you to have a SAFE and HAPPY time at prom. I am proud of the person you have already become.

Love Dad

No comments:

Post a Comment