Coming for the Real You.

I'm hoping to share thoughts, fun and insightful information and aha moments with all to better serve ourselves and the universe.

My background is that of Executive Secretary for the local Electric company (11 years).

Certified Personal Trainer (since 1991) and Fitness Consultant for my own company, Beachin Bodies (6 years) and certified in Reiki and Nutrition with training in Cranial Sacral work, Tai Chi, and Meditation. Certified as a Professional Life Coach (2015); Minister at Universal Life Church (2016);

and, possibly, most important,

my own journey through illness and avenues, roads and roadblocks that I have taken to find the real me. (35 plus years).

The me that I was born as. The me that is the all-knowing. I believe the search is endless and we are here to learn and to love and to share it all.










Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Addiction vs. Dependence

I am learning/exploring the difference (for me) between addiction and being an addict and dependence and being dependent.  

As I wean off of a 'controlled substance', I am aware of my body needing the drug.  My brain stopped producing what the drug created in my body and, most likely, even added to/changed my blood chemistry.

I realize that an addict wants to take the drug so they don't feel anything; nothing.  They want to keep taking more and more as to hide within; retreat from life.  They often get to the point where they will do anything for the drug and it becomes their only focus.

I realize that a drug dependent person wants the drug to stop pain.  They stop taking the drug once the pain subsides.  They want to stay involved.  There is a very fine line, at times, on physical vs. emotional pain and which comes first as they so often intertwine.  I do not want to keep taking it so I don't feel anything.  I only want to quiet the pain.  The dependent person does not need to deceive themselves and others; however, pushed to the point of no intake of the drug and the body craving the drug, one may find themselves tortured to get the drug in their system.  I have been here.  I was never pushed to the point of lying and cheating (thanks to my doctor of 30 years); however, I'm sure anyone dependent could be. 

The drugs are that powerful to the human body and mind. 

An addict knows great torture.  Moreso than the dependent.  They are never at a knowing of real peace.  Sometimes, the drug is all that is left in their life. 

A dependent knows fear and torture too.  However, they know peace in the quiet of the pain and yet there is awareness that stays present.  I do believe that this awareness has to be diminished somewhat on a body dependent drug...

I do not think my body knows the difference between being an addict and being dependent.

I believe our brains may. 

Our brains are not living for the next fix.  Our brains just want to stop the pain and/or be able to function.  Our brains do not look to get as high as possible and mentally crave the drug.  A dependent person does not have as strong of a mental connection to the drug as the addicted person usually has a drug of choice.  However, I also have a drug of choice.  Hmm.  I chose it after trying several over the years.  I chose it because it doesn't upset my stomach or make me too loopy and/or uncomfortable. 

The body knows no difference.

The brain of an addict wants to bury everything that they feel.  They want to get as 'high' as possible.  As soon as they are returning to feeling again, the thought of the next 'fix' starts building.  They often add another drug with the drug of choice. 

The brain of the dependent sits with the pain not being there and functions better with the pain not requesting attention .  They usually just take the one path of pain relief and this is enough for them.

So, there are so many similiarities.   There are the same cravings.  There is the same need to wean. 

The person addicted may be so sensitive to life, that they have not learned how to feel and/or to be true to what they are feeling. 

The person dependent may also be sensitive and may not be completely open to feeling it all.  They surely do not want to feel the pain.

So many similarities.  Some differences.   And, yet, there is a difference. 

The only difference that is completely palpable is that the full blown addict is completely consumed.  

We can both get to the point where we no longer function with or without the drug. 

 This is exactly were I am.  As I am stopping a drug, I am not functioning in the way I see/know myself to function. 

I am stuck feeling not great and feeling horrible.  I no longer know what is the drug(s); what is the dis-ease; what is me weaning...  I cannot tell which part of what I am doing; what I experience; what I feel is presenting the problem or the solution.

Sure, the ulcer on the finger is the disease (or is it).  But, the discomfort, the inability to focus, the demand on my body that I'd rather not have or experience -- what is creating this. 

Noone that I have connected with is able to tell me or help me with this deciphering. 

It is time for our world to do better and stand together in creating our own best selves from our own inner truth and knowing.

There is no place left to hide.  There is no other option on the table than this if we want to thrive as a whole universal system.

I'd sure like to be a part of a whole universal system thriving.  It starts from within.

So, perhaps, the similarities and differences do not matter as much as bringing our best self to the whole.

And, 'carry forward'.

May you carry your truest of self forward into the wholeness of our universe.  All you need to do is live what is inside of you to live and share it with one another...  Scary and, yet, everything we have/need/truly want is already ours - we only need to stand in the truth of and connect to our whole selves out loud.

Baby steps allowed.

Perhaps, many of us are balancing between our magical self and our pretend, stuck or old version of self.  May you always be open to your own 'magic'... Let it carry you forward. 

                                                           Pictures Unknown

This subject is very close to my heart.  I have been living with and concerned with it for a long, long time.  Only now, am I starting to be able to decipher some of what I relate and connect to as my truth. 

No comments:

Post a Comment